Re: [MELB] Speed of metropolitan trains

----- Original Message -----
> just wondering what the default cruising speed is of metropolitan trains -
> is it the same in all areas, or does it vary depending on the distance to
> the next stopping point, condition of track etc?

It basically depends on the condition of the track and signalling system in
use. The track speed varies widely around the system. For instance: Between
Clifton Hill and Jolimont, the top speed is 55km/hr. Connex are about to
upgrade the signalling which will increae speeds to 65km/hr.

On long, straight sections of line, with relatively new signalling, speed
limits are as high as 115km/hr (Dandenong - Cranbourne, Dandenong - Bunyip,
Altona Jnc - Werribee).

The most common speed in middle suburban areas is 70km/hr. This is
sufficient as faster speeds would be impractical for stopping trains.

> I've heard that Melbourne's trains are the slowest in the nation, and I
> have to say that when I've been in Sydney it's certainly felt like their
> trains travel at faster speeds..then again..maybe it's because their
> stations are further apart?? (are they?)

Not sure about Adelaide, but on average, I would say that Melbourne's are
certainly the slowest Electric Suburban Trains in Australia.
I don't really know about Sydney VS. Melbourne (a Sydneysider could help
more on this one) but Sydney have more express services, so they stop less
and have a higer average speed? Travel on a stopping train and it seems just
as slow as Melbounre, but on an express service through the inner Western
suburbs it certainly seems quite fast.

> I'm also interested if N.E. or Connex have showed any signs that they want
> to increase the cruising speed of the trains, clearly in order to reduce
> travelling times?

Signal upgrades, track maintenance are all being carried out to assist
speeds.

Sam