Re: [MELB] Speed of metropolitan trains

"Sam Eades" <seades@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
X58w6.28348$992.177943@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:X58w6.28348$992.177943@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> [...]

Actually Sam, it's only getting upgraded to 60 km/h as 65 is considered too
rough on the
rolling stock, track condition and signal spacing also has a lot to do with it
as well :-)

> On long, straight sections of line, with relatively new signalling, speed
> limits are as high as 115km/hr (Dandenong - Cranbourne, Dandenong - Bunyip,
> Altona Jnc - Werribee).
>
> The most common speed in middle suburban areas is 70km/hr. This is
> sufficient as faster speeds would be impractical for stopping trains.

80km/h is the most common actually

> > I've heard that Melbourne's trains are the slowest in the nation, and I
> > have to say that when I've been in Sydney it's certainly felt like their
> > trains travel at faster speeds..then again..maybe it's because their
> > stations are further apart?? (are they?)
>
> Not sure about Adelaide, but on average, I would say that Melbourne's are
> certainly the slowest Electric Suburban Trains in Australia.
> I don't really know about Sydney VS. Melbourne (a Sydneysider could help
> more on this one) but Sydney have more express services, so they stop less
> and have a higher average speed? Travel on a stopping train and it seems just
> as slow as Melbourne, but on an express service through the inner Western
> suburbs it certainly seems quite fast.
>

> > I'm also interested if N.E. or Connex have showed any signs that they want
> > to increase the cruising speed of the trains, clearly in order to reduce
> > travelling times?
>
> Signal upgrades, track maintenance are all being carried out to assist
> speeds.

Signal upgrades on their own won't do it, since privatisation the quality of the
track has become a serious safety issue, with some drivers saying that it won't
be long before a serious derailment will occur. Our union has brought this up
with management which says there is nothing wrong with the track. A classic case
of poor track is on the Epping line just before Childs Rd which is 80 km/h, the
track actually drops on one side where it has been badly undermined. I wince
every time I run
over it.