Re: Signalling queries

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
3B25F694.38EAB382@efs.mq.edu.au">news:3B25F694.38EAB382@efs.mq.edu.au...
> Tezza wrote:
>
> > Casula to near Campbelltown has recently gone double light?
>
> Yes - depending how you define "recently", of course. Surely you
> remember it in its single light days?
>
> Does somone have rapid access to the actual dates of the conversion?
>
> I am speaking "recently" in the overall scheme of signalling history,
> not "recently" as in last week or last year.

Resignalling occurred in the mid 1980s, 1985/1986 from memory?  It was
certainly done prior to the opening of the East Hills - Glenfield line, I
thought by a year or two.

Now my chance to perhaps clear up some history.  Many of the signals on the
Liverpool - Campbelltown section were single light search light signals prior
to the most recent resignalling.  I thought that jointless track circuits were
used for the 2nd most recent resignalling which was done in conjunction with
Liverpool - Glenlee electrification for 1968 opening?  These circuits included
two large cable loops that formed a rough square between the rails.

I also thought the signalling was replaced in the '80s for more than one
reason.  Better headways were needed for the extra services travelling via
East Hills plus ongoing traffic growth.  I thought there was a specific
urgency on this line because the traction equipment on the chopper cars (for
which delivery commenced on 198?) interfered with the track circuits on the
Campbelltown line.  The C3581-3582 certainly spent a long time in trials with
C3583-3584 entering service 1st.

Erricson's ATC was also trialled between Campbelltown and Liverpool (some of
the yellow bailises (sp?) are still in place in the 4 foot) with a Tangara and
an 86 being fitted with ATC equipment.  I thought the trial results were mixed
and for that reason, + $$, ATC was not pursued.

How ironic that 2001/02 budget initiatives should involve enhanced signalling
Glenfield - Campbelltown for improved headways and $$ for an ATC trial.

Please correct away for any of the above that's wrong.

Chris