Re: [SA] Incredible article in Advertiser today

"Lachlan Smith" <lachiesmith@bigpond.com> wrote in message
iCWU6.59050$hV3.90961@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:iCWU6.59050$hV3.90961@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> An article in todays paper says that in 1999 Baulderstone Hornibrook
> wanted to fund and build a $750 million rail system in Adelaide, and
> then lease it back to the government. The government rejected it due
> to concerns about ticketing(!?).
>
> The system would have included elctrifying heavy rail lines to Belair,
> Tonsley
> Gawler and N. Centre, converting the other lines to light rail, and
building
> additional light rail lines to the Airport, Semaphore, North Adelaide and
> West Lakes.

Well I left over 20 years ago wishing for something like this, believing
that Adeliade needs this big time, and it comes from The Advertiser - what a
shame. A shame it's written up in there and a shame it will never happen in
the foreseeable future.

Ivan