Re: Signalling queries

"Bradley Torr" <truenorth@one.net.au.SPAMTRAP> wrote in message
01c0f281$84ecfa80$5c5e65cb@default">news:01c0f281$84ecfa80$5c5e65cb@default...

> Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in article
> <3b24b22e$0$25465$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
>
> > Normally, they'd ring Control and be told whether they were to travel on
> the
> > staff or ticket. Fuckups do happen though. A train could break down
> causing
> > the order to change. I think these days (no longer using staff and
> ticket),
> > thek'd use a SAO.
>
> Train crews use dry savoury square-shaped biscuits to let the signalling
> system know that the train has entered a new section? :-)

Now you've got it!    But getting back to serious business, Ticket and Staff
working is in use at the Sydney Tramway Museum.  Remember that Sydney's
trams were part of the Railways until 1930.  Single line sections, the end
of the Watson's Bay line and the Athol line to Taronga Park Wharf were
worked by T&S. The working of this system would be demonstrated/explained to
you on request on a visit to the museum.  (Got to get in a plug for STM )
:-)

Ted