Re: [AUS] Just had a Long Weekend away from this Group!

Paul Jones <zifnab_spam_@goconnect.net> wrote in article
<9g2b17$6l8ob$1@ID-90616.news.dfncis.de>...

> But I agree. It would be nice to see something useful in here every one
and
> a while. And also enough with the nit picking. If people are pissing you
> off, flame them personally and not on the NG!!

That is the nature of the beast! Usenet newsgroups are unmoderated forums,
and are places where the very worst of human nature comes to the fore,
thanks to the total anarchy and the possibility of anonyminity, not to
mention accessibility to everyone from the most sober and equaninimous
patrician to the lowliest and most brainless fool... as for me, I rather
enjoy the cut and thrust to a certain degree... I am not lying when I say
that aus.rail has it easy, even with the 'garbage' of recent days! If you
think that aus.rail is infested with flame wars, personal vendetti, and
off-topic trivia, I would suggest that you visit aus.politics,
misc.transport.urban-transit or rec.sport.pro-wrestling!

If you do not wish to put up with this anarchy and chaos, there are other
forums of a more placid nature dealing with railways, such as the Ausloco
mailing list, moderated web-based message boards and the like. It is also
very easy nowadays to create your very own forum on any specific subject
you like. aus.rail isn't the only way. Want a forum where you can discuss
VR R-class steam locos? Go to Ninemsn and create an R-class community....
or a place which concentrates on Adelaide public transport and rail? Go to
Yahoo! and start your own mailing list!

> On a more positive note, thanks to all the many knowledgeable people in
here
> who put up with all this crap. Your help is greatly appreciated! Please
> don't leave!!!!!

I couldn't agree more. Unlike many newsgroups, aus.rail still has much gold
among the dregs. I find aus.rail to still be a satisfactory and stimulating
experience, and the flame wars and the stupidity is still at the stage
where it's humourours, and doesn't hurt to jump in once in a while. ;)

Regards
BT