Re: [melb] Rochmond Tram Depot Location?

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:28:24 +1000, "David Bennetts"
<davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>You may also be interested in the site of the former engine house at 1
>Bridge Road
>http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/heritage/register/site.pl?015349
>
>An even sorrier reflection on preservation of our historical landmarks

Demolished b/w Christmas and New Year 1990.  After the fracas over the
demolition of the Clarendon Street bridge, there must have been 30 -
40 thugs ^H^H^H^H^H security officers surrounding the engine house
destruction.  I wandered down to take photos of the demolition and was
told to cease and desist, even though I was on the other side of the
road.

This building likewise is only remembered by one standing wall.

The irony is that this shed "had" to come down to enable a left turn
lane into a to-be-widened Bridge Road.  The widening proposals for
Bridge Road have now been scrapped.

One of the workers told me at the time "what a f******g shame - the
stuff in there is as good as San Francisco's power house" "oh you've
been to SFO?" "Yeah, there last year".

B***ards!