Re: Hexpress

David Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:23:25 GMT, RC <richy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Mascot station in the middle of nowhere -
>
> It's actually a little to the left of the middle.

> > Green Square surrounded by low
> >density industrial/commercial sites -
>
> This is set to change soon, apparently.

Wake me up when

> > Wolli Creek looks like the Government
> >railway did the bare minimum they could get away with.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Trains creaking into
> >the forgotten far platforms of Central Electric...
>
> 21/22 would hardly be considered "forgotten far platforms".  22 has a
> large number of trains that run in the same general direction.

Doesn't have the same feel to it as departing from a dedicated platform at
Wynyard Upper level, with predeparture check in, lounge etc

> BTW: There are plans afoot to reinstate the Down Illawarra line off 23
> platform through to Redfern platform 10.  Also, they will add a new
> crossover near the tunnel mouth and make the down Illawarra line
> bi-directional, meaning all Airport shuttles would arrive and depart
> from platform 23.
>
> >No airline check in -
>
> True.
> > no direct service to Wynyard where all the bizzos are -
>
> Untrue.  Many trains run direct from the Airport to Wynyard via
> Museum.

 add St James, Circular Quay - Geez we don't want the train to arrive to soon...

> >s__t trains -
>
> Debatable.  Most of them are a bit better than you state.

Should be "All" not "most" - the presence of a single s__t train would put most
"choice" users right off

> > s__t service,
>
> I disagree.

My fiancee remembers clearly missing an Impulse flight because of an incident at
Central that went something like this "The train at the platform is a
Campbelltown via Airport train...wait 20 minutes...the train on the other
platform is an Airport train all change please...wait ten minutes...first train
departs for airport...second waits ten more minutes..." What an absolute disgrace
City-F'ing-Rail!

> > unreliable, frequently cancelled,
>
> You exaggerate.

If it happens once and you miss a flight- all $700 million of what you spent was
in vain

> > through routed
> >to the less-privileged suburbs,
>
> So?

So how do they expect to get any customers - North Shore or Eastern Suburbs it
should have been. Bugger the westies

> > no luggage space,
>
> True.

So very true when you've ridden on other countries trains, seen it done properly

> > no signage,
>
> Wrong.

Improving. Signage includes references in magazines, trade journals, tourist
brochures etc etc. I recall looking all over the Qantas terminal when the line
first opened it **wasn't**obvious at all

> >ridiculously
> >overpriced fares
>
> True.
>
> > for sh_t service
>
> Untrue.

As above

> >if I was
> >running a conspiracy to sabotage the line, I wouldn't have done a better job
> >than the current crowd.
>
> You're obviously not very imaginative!

Drive the stations to bankruptcy in (IIRC) 2 months - how can anyone do a better
job than - even One Tel took a couple of years to become insolvent, the bumbling
crowd of Cityrail, the owners of the stations and the Airport managers clearly
had the demise of the service in mind