Re: [melb] Camberwell Junction track replacement this weekend

"Jeremy de Korte" <jdekorte@one.net.au> wrote in message
3B236017.4DD24E92@one.net.au">news:3B236017.4DD24E92@one.net.au...
> Does this mean that they might actually get to Balaclava Junction as well
> (routes 3, 64 & 69)?  That last time I saw that it was a real mess - even
worse
> than Camberwell in some places.  There has been about four or five levels
of
> work on it.  Last time anthing significant happened there was when they
redid
> the overheads.  I also heard that they are ripping up the old connecting
tracts
> between Burke and Riversdale roads.  Will this happen to redundant tracks
at
> Balaclava?  I hope not.  I remember using those other curves on tram
school
> excursions in the early eighties to get to activities at Caulfield Park.

I seem to remember that Alan Brown, when he was transport minister, said it
was policy to maintain the full junction for heritage reasons.

There's not actually many redundant curves - only the ones from North to
East, I believe. All the others are used during normal operations, such as
for Glenhuntly depot trams to/from East Malvern (3) and St Kilda Beach (79).

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au