Re: Re: Highly accurate radio comment

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 09:01:09 +1000, "David Bennetts"
<davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>The guard is rather
>thick if he/she signals the driver to go when the indicator light is out and
>the signals are against the train.
>
>So it's not too hard for guards to avoid signalling the train to start when
>the driver can't go anywhere.

To be fair, when you are working trains for years on end, and you
always have the guard's indicator light, you can get into the habit of
not looking for it.  It is an easy mistake to make.  I always thought
they should have a 2 colour Guard's indicator at all platforms with a
home signal at the end of the platform.  This way, when the home stick
was at stop, the Guard's indicator would be red - a much better
reminder to the guard of the condition of the signal, rather than the
absence of a white light.  The recent derailment at Rhodes could have
been avoided this way.

David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/