Re: QLD - Any news on the demise of the Corinda-Yerongpilly shuttle

In article <3b209179@news.iprimus.com.au>, Kevin Lyons says...

>RC <richy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3B1FF6FD.91FC06C7@yahoo.com...
>>

>> John Coyle wrote:
>>
>> > In article <eo8vhtgag96n5ijh3up0h3nhuinc2qu5ag@4ax.com>, David Johnson
>says...

>> > I discussed the concept of extending the Yeerongpilly-Corinda shuttle to
>Darra,
>> > or to Redbank, with Glen Dawe of QR. Such action  would draw a few more
>> > passengers, and make  better use of the train set. And, if done right,
>would
>> > allow Ipswich  trains to run express for part of their run. No dice!
>> >
>> > Also, at my meeting with Mr Dawe, I urged QR to adopt Perth style train
>> > services, That is, instead of a six car train every 30 minutes, run a
>three car
>> > train every 15 minutes. Guards would re retrained as drivers, so that
>the three
>> > car trains would be "driver only". Again, CFPT got a BS excuse, as to
>why that
>> > isn't possible! Never mind that patronage had increased in Perth by over
>300%
>> > once two car EMU's every ten minutes replaced diesel rail cars.
>>
>> Well it sounds like he's out there trying - notwithstanding he isn't
>Vaughan with
>> his prominent media access
>>
>> I agree a Perth-style operation would have been better - I just don't
>think they
>> thought of it when they bought the first EMU back in 1979 - they were
>essentially
>> "electrifying" their current practice of long trains less frequent rather
>than
>> thinking of it in another way.
>>
>> Not sure how extending the shuttle would help - both places are out there
>like
>> shags on rocks - not a lost of use to all and sundry. Brisbane's network
>is a
>> asterisk shape which misses many traffic generators eg the Universities,
>regional
>> shopping centres.
>>
>> I suppose if the line was going to be of any use as a connector, trains
>need to run
>> right through to somewhere eg Ipswich, Cleveland so that people need only
>change
>> trains once. But wouldn't the loop idea (all stations to Roma St both
>ways) have
>> the benefit that trains on both Beenleigh and Ipswich lines can run more
>express
>> (from Sherwood in one case, Yeerongpilly the other)
>>
>> Signed
>> RC
>>
>The problem with running more frequent trains may have something to do with
>there being only 2 tracks and coal and freight trains trying to squeeze in.
>During peak times freight trains are already as popular as a f**t in an
>elevator.

> [...]

There potential of extending the bus to serve areas beyond Corinda has been
overlooked, so it is of no advantage over the shuttle train, and the bus takes
twice as the train did, to do the trip! That's a transport improvement?

I live in Ipswich, which has an all day, "all stations" train service. On the
Beenleigh and Caboolture lines,at least one can get express trains, but there is
really only one good express train per day, from Brisbane to Redbank, thence all
to Ipswich. An insult, really.

Three car trains every 15 minutes would allow for a "limited stop" and and an
all statuions train, every 30 minutes. The limited stop service would be the
Rosewood-Brisbane trains. After raising the concept for years, I would be
surprised if QR ever get around to accepting that patronage would increase, if
people at the major stations had a train every 15 minutes.