Re: The Fish and Chips

Michael Pfeiffer wrote:

> The name "The Fish" was derived from Driver Heron, who drove the train from
> the middle 1860's to about 1885. His name was corrupted to "Herring" and he
> became known as "The Fish". In time his nickname became associated with the
> train. Later, to cope with the increased passengers, a second train was
> introduced and became officially recognized as "The Chips". Interurban
> electric trains have been operated as "The Fish" and "The Chips" since 15th
> September and 15th December, 1958, respectively.
>
> Source: "Railway Quiz" Revised Edition April 1966, p.40
>
> Knew this little book would come in handy!!!
> It doesn't give original start dates. It also says that they serve the area
> between Penrith and Mount Victoria: Do they continue to Lithgow now?

According to the timetable on my desk, The Fish goes to/from Lithgow,
and The Chips goes to/from Mt Victoria

--
Michael Hendy

Webmaster, http://biisetup.cjb.net

e-Gunzel - aus.rail

Basilisk II support questions should be sent to the Delphi forums if
possible, so that they can be quickly and accurately answered (I don't
know everything!)

--
"The world's programmers are trying to make the best idiot-proof
software. The universe, however, is trying to make the best idiot.

"It is our policy to upgrade our product every few months to keep up to
date with new CPUs (such as Athlon and Pentium 4), new Oses (Windows
XP), so that our code base does not get stable." - Darek Mihocka,
Emulators Inc.