Re: Safety Vests & Level Crossings

Would be interesting to know how many lives have been saved by safety vests.
Do they in fact encourage unsafe behaviour, just as Volvo drivers feel
invincible?

In my recent travels to Thailand and Malaysia, I didn't see safety vests
worn anywhere around the tracks.

Perhaps we could have safety vests mounted on poles at strategic points
along the line, like buoyancy rings at wharves, swimming pools etc.  Then
anyone contemplating venturing on the line would be guaranteed immunity from
being squashed, even if they cross the line 10 metres in front of an XPT
doing 160 km/h

I think if we followed the same logic as safety vests, then all road
vehicles would be painted bright colours, have flashing strobelights on top,
and it would be compulsory to drive with headlights on in daylight hours (as
in Sweden and Canada).

Regards

David Bennetts