Re: [OT] You know you're a hardcore railfan when...

Jonathan Boles wrote:

> Here's a few to get you started:
>
> ...when you think about putting multi chime air horns on top of your car.
>
> ...when you try to take a picture of 3801/3830 through a Tangara window.
>
> ...when you'd prefer to learn drive a train before you learn to drive a car.
>
> ...when you learn to distinguish Sydney sparks by sound.
>
> ...when you discuss ways to make the cityrail system more efficient.
>
> ...when you write software to emulate station announcements
>
> ...when you are in the process of writing software to emulate the Cityrail
> plasma screen (actually I'll release an alpha version soon)
>
> ...when you look forward to drooling over double-page-spread colour pics in
> Motive Power.
>
> That's all i have time for now, add your own!
>
> --
> --
> Rgds
> J. Boles
> Sydney, Australia
>
> jaboles AT crosswinds DOT net
> decoy.address@spam.trasher.com

...when you spend your entire annual leave/school holidays going to a town
virtually in the middle of nowhere (eg Dorrigo, Glenreagh, Paterson) just to
take a photo of some rust.

...when you take your gf/fiancee to Sydney for a holiday, specifically to buy a
Purple Weekly Travelpass to show her around the Cityrail network.

...when you want to design a website for a railway station over 2,000 kilometres
away

...when you spend a couple of hours working out how you could convert an entire
double-deck electric carriage in Sydney, into a house (eg where the bed will be,
where the bathroom will be, where to have the loungeroom etc)

...when, in Year 8 woodwork class, you don't make the jigsaw puzzle/truck/spice
rack that everyone else is making, you decide to make an XPT train.

...when you keep a nickname given to you by railway staff, more than 8 years
ago.

...when you have dreams of having the money to complete Bradfield's dream of the
Sydney rail network.

...when you think of how to re-build Aberdeen Railway station into the building
of old

...when you play a game like Transport Tycoon, and only use trains

...when you try to make a railway game, just so you can pretend to manage the
cityrail network.

...when you spend 15 minutes playing around with ticket machines finding out how
much the longest journey on the Cityrail network would cost, then looking at
timetables to see the shortest period of time to do it in.