Re: [VIC] bent Comenge at Footscray!

    Fellow Traveller Rod,
    Yes, the approach on the down Werribee Line to Footscray station is not
good, on a left hand curve in a cutting, with that line right up against the
side of the cutting. With regard to the comment about speculation being made
about such accidents, again you are right to say that this is due to the
overall secrecy that always surrounds these investigations, we, the dumb
public, never do really find out what happened, so we must just make
assessments. What a pity that here we don't have the U.K. arrangements where
the (nationwide) Health and Safety Executive issues printed railway accident
reports that the general public can buy and read.
    In our case, it sounds as there are far too many cooks with their spoons
in the pot!
    And it is true that there are now not enough breakdown crews available
for these stacks, there appeared to be one gang of about half-a-dozen blokes
working on re-railing one bogie at a time, they were working well, but with
several bogies off, one gang is going to take a while to put them all back
on , a second gang would have considerably speeded up the process.

Regards,

Bill.

"Rod [comtrain]" <freight_man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
3b1edc70$0$6127$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3b1edc70$0$6127$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> > > Do you have any idea how long it takes a train to stop?
> > >
> > > How do you know the signals or brakes weren't faulty?
> >
> > For the record, it is 204m (uphill) from signal W223 to the platform at
> > Footscray
> Now also for the record. When do you think the Driver would have seen the
> rear of the preceeding train?
> from experience, you would not see it till you were under the Barkley
Street

http://members.optushome.com.au/gunzelpage/scans/trains/05-06-2001_footscray