Re: State Rail - No, State Joke. [NSW]

> > On what would they base this tax? Income? The power to levy income
> > taxes was ceded to the Commonwealth ages ago (in the thirties, I
> > believe) so what else would they levy it on?
> >
> > Dave
>
> How about land values?
> The SA Government has a tax based on land value (IIRC), which is called
> the Emergency Services Levy. A Public Transport levy would be an
> equivalent, and if called a *Levy*, the pollies could conveniently not
> call it a *Tax* when they feel like it.

I don't think there is anything preventing a State government
introducing an income tax.  Existing income taxes were ceded to the
Commonwealth for the duration of the war and not given back- not sure
why.  But I don't think there is any *legal* impediment to a State
govt introducing a new state income tax.  The fact that it would be
political suicide is another matter.

I am sure there are ways such a tax could be raised, and it would
certainly be better, simpler and more of an encouragement to use the
system than what prevails currently.

Regards

Ben Scaro