Re: Southern O-Bahn comes off the rails

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 09:48:16 +1100, "tony bailey"
<mercuryworldtvl@one.net.au> wrote:

>Maurie-
>
>Don't forget that an election is looming in SA - so the government will have
>to save their ammunition to allow large numbers of meaningless promises to
>be made and not kept - except, of course, for building more roads.
>
>--
>Tony Bailey
>Mercury World Travel
>Mercury Travel Books
>mercuryworldtvl@one.net.au

Yes , I appreciate that there is an election in SA soon.
However in relation to the AP to Darwin money, why did this money have
to be borrowed?
The NT govt was able to find an additional $26 M without having to
borrow it,and the SA budget is much larger than the NTs.
Also, if the O-bahn is too expensive for the Govt to build , then why
not get the private sector to build it as a BOOT project.
Theye seem to be popular these days ,and then in 50 years it could be
handed back to the Govt, much like AP to Darwin or Melbs Citylink
project.

Its farly likely, given the SA Govts track record in not building
railways that any new projects will be road based ones , but whats
left.
What I find odd, is that the SA Govt are simply not indicating where
the $120 M will be spent,and even more surprisingly the SA opposition
arnt calling for alternatives to the O-bahn either.

MD