Re: [Melbourne] W-class trams

"Mike Alexander" <malex @ bigfoot com> wrote in message
3ab0bbdd@news.alphalink.com.au">news:3ab0bbdd@news.alphalink.com.au...
> Point taken. Although I expressed my frustration to him more as "this is
> what your company should do" rather than "this is what you should do".
>
> One big difference between a "conductor" and station staff is that a
connie
> could at least ask the person to leave the vehicle if they refuse to buy a
> ticket. Or ask the driver to not move the vehicle until the person got
off.
> I remember the old connies doing this, and the cries from fellow
passengers
> soon shamed the fare evader. I agree that the options for station staff
are
> much more limited.

It still works a treat on Sydney trams,  especially if it is near a change
of shift at Star City, the staff enjoy the 'Pay-back'.  Of course
'conductors' are titled 'Customer Service Officers'.  Once on the mid-night
to dawn Star City shuttle I received a buzz on the passenger intercom from
the CSO "Stop the tram at the next stop, this bloke is getting off if he
doesn't buy a ticket".  The Asian sitting up like Buddah and ignoring the
CSO had his coins out before I could get from 'power' to 'coast'.  :-)

Ted