Re: Ruterord Branch

Philip Shortus wrote:

> What is left of the ruterford branch line? is there anyone with information
> on this line, it branched of on the great northern railway and ran to
> ruterford racecourse and closed in 1969

You mean Rutherford? It was effectively closed before 1969.

I haven't looked at it for a year or more, but then there was still
plenty of evidence of its existence all the way from the junction to the
terminus. Basically there was the curve away from the main line, then a
long straight to the terminus (there were also some sidings more or less
at right angles to that main line in long bygone times, but trace of
these has long since disappeared). The track near the junction had been
removed, but relics remained along the straight (including a small
bridge).

The island platform at the terminus had been split by a section being
gouged out of the middle to provide through access for road vehicles,
but the rest was substantially intact, including the signal box and
frame (but little of the actual signalling).

A more up to date report would be welcome! There was talk of new
development of the area near the terminus - has that happened?