Re: How to save Countrylink

"David Head" <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote in message
3AA438B4.D8F672C8@nmit.vic.edu.au">news:3AA438B4.D8F672C8@nmit.vic.edu.au...
> Just a slightly off topic question, concerning loading gauge. could we be
> building the double deck long distance train like AMTRAK etc run in the
USA
> ?? If we are talking about a new loco hauled train.
>
> Regards,
> David Head

Not unless you only run it west of Parkes, where double stacked containers
are permitted.  The AMTRAK Superliner cars to which you refer wouldn't fit
the rest of the loading gauge, as a matter of fact they can't run on the
east coast routes in the USA because of more restricted loading gauge. The
sleepers have some features I don't like - such as tiny compartments with
bunks running along the train, but their toilets are also very cramped
aircraft style.

Regards

David Bennetts
Bowral