Re: Woomera

What town are you referring to, Pimba which is the
junction for the abandoned line or Woomera "railway
station" itself.?  Folks who are not aware, Woomera can
not be seen from the TAR line at Pimba, it is North of
the Trans way over a long rising ridge.

Last time I looked and photographed (some years ago)
the rails were still in place from the apex of the
Pimba triangle to Woomera Station which was being used
by the Yanks for unloading road hauled goods for their
now deserted Narrunga "spy" station at Island Lagoon
which was accessed by a turnoff between Pimba and
Wirrappa sidings.

The so called "technical" section of the line continued
on past Woomera Station through a military check point
and disappeared towards very large buildings in the
distance.  This part of the line was referred to as the
"technical" area and the Commonwealth Railways Train
Order Regulations (Page 64 4a) state, "That part of the
Woomera spur line between Woomera Stores Siding and the
technical area is worked under local arrangements with
one unit under power."

The spur line from Pimba to Woomera was overgrown and
well and truly washed out in places.  It has not been
used since the mid seventies, my 1976 Trans Australian
Line working time table does not even mention Woomera.

There is/was some ancient rolling stock at Pimba minus
running gear and used for storage by at least one
private individual.

....Tell