Re: Sydney/Melbourne transport comparisons

"jjjim" <jjjim@bigpond.com> wrote in message
3A9B6CC9.AF073432@bigpond.com">news:3A9B6CC9.AF073432@bigpond.com...
> Well I can compare the sydney  system to brisbane . I think the major
> differecneces where The better ticketing system in sydney.  The trains are
> obvioulsy bigger and ride better  (bar the new brissy trains which ride
exellent
> for a narrow gauge. )
>
> You cant understand the guards in sydney,  why dont they have an automated
doors
> closing announcment like bris, u can understand.
>
> The Older sydney trains are quite ratty, and very old fasioned. and the
brakes
> stink ;-).  but being a bit of a nut i found them quite Historical and
> fasinating.  From a tourists point of veiw i think a better ratio of new
to old
> trains is needed

I think you summed it up well (implicitly though) - so let me expand on
that.

Sydney has more electric cars than all of the other systems combined. It
obviously takes longer to replace those cars, so refurbishment is an
attractive option.

Sydney obviously does not stand up to Brisbane or Perth as far as rolling
stock goes, your rolling stock is infinitely better than ours.

BUT, if you had a system the size of ours, would you be able to cope as well
as we do?

Dave