Re: Third stevedore plan for port

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:02:42 GMT, lbrown2@bigpond.com (Brown Family)
wrote:

>"In Altona North, CRT is scheduled to open for business within four
>months. It will have the capacity to handle 13,000 TEUs per annum and
>will be serviced by both road and rail," she said. "A single shuttle
>will run to East Swanson Dock five days a week, 52 weeks a year."

Currently the line runs down to Appleton Dock, although there is a
curved easement through a wall of containers which would run into East
Swanson Dock:  a new line would need to be built here.

>Double-stacking from CRT to East Swanson Dock and other inland ports
>also on the agenda?

Double stacking would be too expensive (Buggery Street tunnel and
Maribyrnong River bridge combination are formidable financially
expensive obstacles.

Yuri.

--
"I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges."