Re: Humorous observation at Melbourne Central [Vic]

"Ben" <smithb@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
3a9408c3@news.alphalink.com.au">news:3a9408c3@news.alphalink.com.au...
> Tonight while lining up to buy a ticket at the swanston st end I saw a
girl
> trying to eftpos a 90 cent rail +2. She was rather frustrated when the
> machine refused the transfer, so she tried again. By this time I had
> overtaken her and bought a ticket from the machine next to her using coins
> (you know those shiny round things).
>
> Some people are so stupid.

Good grief. Mind you, does the machine actually say why it won't work? Is
the minimum $5 or $10? I wonder if she had a concession card?

> No doubt (in my mind anyway) she was probably going to travel into zone 2
or
> 3 (go further than 2 stations at least) and sees the rail +2 as a "gate
> pass" for the barriers at city stations.

Quite possibly. I remember reading how they had that problem in London about
a year ago, just after fare gates were installed one particular station
(might have been Waterloo). They noticed that sales of short single trip
tickets went through the roof. From memory they had some operation to blitz
the trains with fare inspectors beyond a few stops, to catch these people
out.

> And I bought a short trip ticket on tram today just to go a few blocks,
mind
> you I wanted to get one of those new blue designs that only seem to be on
> trams. Am I the only honest person left who uses public transport? Stupid
> question.

No, there's me as well.

Daniel
--