Re: "customers" demand an extra carriage

Marvin The Martian wrote:

> Have you ever thought that cityrail hasn't got the extra carrige? They don't
> come out of thin air.
>
> Scott Beecham wrote:
>
> > A commuter handed me a leaflet containing the following on today's somewhat
> > packed 6:32 pm to Mt Victoria:

> > The 6:30 pm to Mt Victoria is only a 4-carriage train and is always crowded!
> > ----
> > THIS TRAIN NEEDS AN EXTRA CARRIAGE

G'day.

To provide an "extra carriage", it would be necessary to provide a minimum of two
cars (a trailer and another power car).   These are simply NOT available.   So
desperate is SRA for intercity rolling stock that suburban Tangaras are being
provided on some "G" set outer-suburban rosters to release G sets for V set
workings, particularly on the South Coast;  also, there is a serious proposal to
convert the Contura  trailer car back to a normal passenger vehicle.   In
addition, the Glenbrook power car is to be rebuilt.   The intercity rolling stock
situation will be made more difficult with the extension of electrification from
Dapto to Kiama later this year.

There is a simple solution to the longer distance travellers on this service,
actually the 1832 from Sydney Central, one that State Rail would most likely
listen to.   At present, the train conveys passengers from Sydney Central to
Strathfield, Granville, Parramatta, Penrith then all stations to Mount Victoria.
Strathfield, Granville, Parramatta & Penrith could be made "pick-up" stations
only, so that the service would be advertised as first stop Emu Plains, thence all
to Mount Victoria.   Extensive alternative services are readily available to
shorter distance customers.   After suitable local advertising, the "first stop
Emu Plains" would be enforced by on-train ticket inspectors.

Hunslet.