[VIC/NSW] Re: Transport ticket system collapses

Eddie Oliver wrote:

> Strange that it is reported that Melbourne ticket machines are out of
> order to an amazing extent, whereas Sydney CityRail ticket machines have
> (on the whole) a very good record of working properly. What does the
> collective wisdom of aus.rail offer as a reason for that difference?

Perhaps because CityRail's machines are controlled from a central location
that they may be more reliable? The control room monitors them for problems
(or so that was what I was told). Not sure if Melbourne's machines are
linked up in this way.

Personally, I've never found a faulty CityRail ticket machine in the 8 years
the system has been running. Exceptions to this are "closed" machines, those
which can't accept coins/notes and vandalised machines, but even this is
rare.

However, Melbourne Metcard machines are simple to use, while the CityRail
machines can be complicated at times.

Regards,

Jon Lau