Re: Pichi Richi's longer ride

Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Funny that it mentions that some of the track would come from the Apamurra
> to Cambrai line. I didn't realise that it had been lifted (can anyone
> confirm this?).
>
> "David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
> tXZh6.8$I64.3031@news0.optus.net.au">news:tXZh6.8$I64.3031@news0.optus.net.au...
> > The end of the line for the Pichi Richi Railway will soon be 22km down the
> > track, the State Government said yesterday. The Pichi Richi Railway
> > Preservation Society will receive 22km of track and other materials to
> > complete the Quorn to Port Augusta Railway project.
> >

> http://www.theadvertiser.com.au/common/story_page/0,4511,1704610%255E2682,00
> .html
> >
> > [The Advertiser has been very pro-rail recently, and giving substantial
> > coverage to preservation groups.]

Apamurra-Cambrai line has not been lifted, but watch that space...

As for the original article, please note the distance from Stirling
North to Port Augusta station is 7km. No, there aren't any plans to
continue past the station, just some misreading by the journalist. The
media release from Diana Laidlaw MLC quite clearly states "...to extend
the railway 7km from its current Stirling North terminus into Port
Augusta Railway Station."

For the full media release, go to:
http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/Minister/MediaFrame.asp?article=1435

Cheers.