Re: Some NRC info .

Maurie,

Just a couple of thoughts,

Maurie Daly wrote:

> NRC made another loss of $30 million for the last financial year.

Have to be careful with this one, was it actually a loss or was it a
$30M shortfall in anticipated revenue(which they call a loss, even though
they could have made a profit). So as far as Expenditure vs. Revenue goes
,depending on how they work their figures would determine how much money
was actually made.

> NRCs share of the Melb - Sydney corridor is now down to a dismal 11%
> with Sydney - Brisbane a bit better at 19% and Melb - Adelaide at 21%.
> Seems that the policy of running longer and less frequent trains is
> simply not working.

It all depends on perspective, after all there is a downturn happening
everywhere(look at BHP for example), so that may explain these figures.
NR's figures regarding Fuel Consumption, Crew Costs, Track Access etc.
would actually suggest otherwise.

> The sale of NRC is now into its 5th year,and is not expected to be
> concluded until 31/12/2001, which is likely to be well after
> Freightcorp is sold.

there has been much confusion regarding NR's sale but a lot of the delays
came about from problems with assets transfer between shareholders(who
owns what terminal, locos etc). Actually NR was ready for the sale a
while ago but the State Gov. put the skids on that by stating the two
companies must participate in a joint sale(Freightcorp is actually
holding up the sale while they audit assets etc.)

> ARTC is now looking at converting Pt Pirie to Pt Augusta to CTC,to
> connect with the new Pt Augusta bypass line.
>
> Info taken from Rail 2000s February Newsletter.
>
> MD

And yes I do work for NR(and these are my opinions not NR's)

Regards BEE EFF