[VIC] SRV Tocumwal trip

As most of you probably know, SRV ran their regular diesel trip to
Tocumwal yesterday (10/2).

The consists were as follows:

Spencer Street to Seymour:

S313 - T413 - VOAF9 - Avoca - Victoria - BRS14 - 3ABE - 17BE - 25BE -
18CE.

Avoca and VOAF9 were removed from the train along with S313 at Seymour.
Avoca was being returned to Seymour after a charter and VOAF9 was being
used to transport some E car bogies and other items back to Melbourne on
the up trip.

Seymour to Tocumwal:

T320 - T413 - Victoria - ... - 18CE.

Tocumwal to Seymour:

T413 - T320 - 18CE - ... - Victoria.

Seymour to Spencer Street:

T413 - S313 - VOAF9 - 18CE - ... - Victoria.

T320's short hood was facing Tocumwal while T413's short hood was facing
Melbourne. S313 had it's No 1 end facing Tocumwal for the entire trip as
it wasn't turned at Seymour.

We left Spencer Street on time at 0810 but were forced to wait at
Broadmeadows and we left at 0849 instead of 0836. The original plan was
to arrive at Seymour at 0940 and have morning tea on the platform. To
save time, the train was left in the loop on the Melbourne end of the
yard while all the shunting took place and morning tea was served on
board. Eventually the two T's arrived and we arrived at the platform at
1040 instead of 0950. After a short 10 minute stop we left at 1050,
stopped at Shepparton for about 5 minutes at 1240 and arrived in
Tocumwal at 1435.

The up tour departed Tocumwal at 1620 and arrived at Shepparton at 1744
for a short stop. X53 and A78 (both in FA livery) were shut down in the
yard with a down freight. After stopping at Seymour for about an hour,
the tour departed at approx 2000, passed Dysart at 2005 and departed
Essendon 10 minutes late at 2134.

In my opinion this was Steamrail's best day tour since 1998 and one of
the best tours in Victoria over the past few years. The motive power
combinations and destination were as interesting as I have seen on a
tour and the train's general appearance was very good, enhanced by the
fact the hideous Explorer liveried K cars were left at Newport.

The tour was also run at a very leisurely and relaxed pace compared to
many recent Steamrail trips where they have been rushing to get to the
destination so all the tourists can go for their paddlesteamer rides or
go to the local winery. I go on these trips to relax while travelling to
and from the destination, not to end up waiting for 7 3/4 hours in
Ballarat like the upcoming re-launch of R766.

The use of the E cars with their cleaner windows with larger openings
also added to the relaxing atmosphere of this trip. It is much more
relaxing to be able to simply lean out of the window when you want to
instead of having to get out of your seat (in the process blocking the
view of other passengers) and twist your neck at a strange angle like in
the K cars.

In addition to this, the Steamrail volunteers should be congratulated
for their smooth running of this trip. The ones running this trip seemed
to be much more organised than the parallel run tour last year.

Finally, the lack of headboards or obtrusive Steamrail advertising north
of Seymour is what make this trip really one to remember. This tour
reminded me of the "Quambatook Pass" tour in 1997 and the Panitya
weekender in 1998. Both of these tours were really good and didn't have
excessive Steamrail ads all over them. I think this tour is an example
of the way fan trips in Victoria should be run.

Here are some image captures from my MiniDV video:

S313 and T413 with the down tour at Spencer Street:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/tocumwal/s313_t413_spencer_street.jpg

T320 and T413 cross the Murray River at Tocumwal:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/tocumwal/t320_t413_murray_river.jpg

T413 and T320 with the up tour near Katunga:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/tocumwal/t413_t320_near_katunga.jpg

As usual, these are all copyright and must not be used for anything
other than personal non-profit use without the photographer's
permission.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: