Re: Definition of a Railway (Was Port Elliot)

In article <3A828A5C.95520E19@enternet.com.au>,
  Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:
> OK all you learned people, this thread is raising an interesting
point -
> what is the definition of a railway?
>
> The recent ARHS NSW publication "Australian Railway Routes 1854 -
2000"
> uses the following definition... "A Railway is defined in this
> publication as one worked by mechanical power over steel (or iron)
> rails.  Excluded are street tramways and lines which used only horse
or
> human power, and/or had wooden rails".
>
> What do you all think about this definition?

I would call this the "criterion" the ARHS used to determine whether a
particular line could be included, rather than a formal "definition" of
a railway. Nothing wrong with that, it's their choice, their book, and
they make it clear they are excluding some types of rail lines.

The Collins dictionary I have to hand defines a "rail" as "1. a
horizontal bar of wood, etc...", but then goes on to define "railway"
as "... composed of a line of parallel metal rails...". That probably
reflects modern usage: there are few wooden railed lines in existence
today.

The Australian journal "Light Railways" definitely includes wooden
railed lines within its scope. If you accept that all those old logging
lines, the original wooden-railed Emu Bay Railway, and the Port Arthur
convict lines are "light railways", that makes them a subset of
"railways".

 Under these rules, the
> Sandridge line is Australia's first railway.  (And this from
NSW!!!!!!)

> When thinking about your definition, I suggest you consider each of
the
> following examples to decide whether they would or would not be
> classified a railway under your alternative definition:
>
> 1. Sydney to Parramatta
> 2. Melbourne to St Kilda Light Rail
> 3. Goolwa to Port Elliot horse tramway
> 4. Port Arthur convict-powered line
> 5. An underground mine coal-skip line
> 6. The Glenelg tramway
> 7. Sugar cane tramways
> 8. The Sydney Monorail
> 9. The Katoomba "Scenic Railway"
> 10. The Adelaide O-Bahn
> 11. The rubber-tyred Metro lines in Paris and Montreal
> 12. The former "Plateways" of Europe
> 13. A roller-coaster at Luna Park etc
> 14. The Balley-hooley tourist tramway
> 15. A rail-based ship slipway
> 16. A roll-a-door on a garage
> 17. A conveyor-belt
> 19. Electric trolley-buses
>
> According to the above ARHS publication, only numbers 1 and 9 are
> considered railways - although numbers 2 and 6 are considered closed
> railways.

If they excluded 7 (and 14) then they are not comprehensive, according
to the criterion/definition they set out above.

Just my humble thoughts. I prefer a broader definition. From your list,
I would only exclude 10, 16, 17 and 19. I would say 8, 11 and 13 are in
a grey area.

James

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/