Re: Aussie railway slang

"Mark Bau" <markbau@earthlink.net> wrote in message
B6A8BFD0.1035%markbau@earthlink.net">news:B6A8BFD0.1035%markbau@earthlink.net...
> Amex, Bona, Agne et al are not slang at all, they were code words used in
> official telegraphic transmissions.
> >
> > Cheers
> > David
Clarifacation
Zoly was a telegraph code too:Arange to relieve Driver and Fireman ,but was
used in paper form[Vic] to act as an official pass to travel to relieve the
crew.The paper version might have had an official name ,but was always
referred to by crews as a Zoly
Likewise
Bona: Locomotive with brake-van for Guards accommodation,left here at
was used in a slang fashion rather than saying :We run loco and van to
Seymour,Bona was substituted  for loco and van.
Never heard any one say :We run Acme to Seymour though.