Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

<petercook2705@my-deja.com> wrote in message
95q71b$8n9$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:95q71b$8n9$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <95q1j7$3mj$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   martin_o@my-deja.com wrote:
> > Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?
> >
> > I live very close to a train station (Westmead), and I'm working
> > towards reducing the amount of noise that comes from stations. One of
> > the most annoying noises is the loud horn as the train is about to
> > leave. It seems to me there is no real need to do it. If it is
> > a 'signal' from the driver to the guard, surely another method could
> be
> > used?
>
> Why did you move within earshot of a railway station if you don't like
> to hear the noises made by trains?

Because property values were down because of the train noises, resulting in
either a reduced purchase price or reduced rental. Now that a property has
been obtained for less than what it *would* be worth (without the train
noises), he is trying to increase the value of that property.

Dave