Re: re why ......

.
3. Some of the differences are: Planes can fly themselves, Trains can't.
Pilots have a heap of Navigational equipment to tell them where they are in inclement weather, In this country most trains do not(I would love to see you working a 115km/h , 3000 tonne Superfreighter on the main South(of Sydney) in a blinding fog with no instrumentation to tell you where the hell you are(except the skilled labourers knowledge of the road).

I have done fog drving of both express freight and express intercity passenger services where one cannot see anything except fog billowing on the windscreen!

These are just some of the main points.

I believe it is comments like these that have kept peoples opinion that we are only skilled labourers. Instead of a least being recognised as tradesmen.

No matter what you call yourself it is a simple skilled labourers job .....

After all it takes between 2 and 5 years(of study and practical) to become a driver, then years of refining your skills to a point where you do a decent job( a carpenters apprenticeship takes 4 years(of study and practical)  and they bcome known as tradesmen.

How long did your city rail guards do?

I know that this will probably attract some wide ranging differences of opinion, but at the end of the day I think most drivers etc do a reasonable job in this country(which has some of the harshest and unforgiving climate in the world).  So if you care to think yourself as nothing more than a skilled labourer I can see why you are no longer a LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER and have chosen an alternate career path.

Yes it became boring and I like to be challenged!

Me personally I think I'm a  person who can drive trains(as there are train drivers and people who can drive trains).

I agree .. I was great at it ..others who had beenthere years were fucked !

"