Re: On The Beach - accuracy?

In the book (by Neville Shute, author of "A Town Like Alice" and "The Far
Country", they live on an electrified line. Electricity comes from coal.
Whilst the book (written early 1960's) says we produce no oil, that has
changed. We now produce a large proportion of our oil needs.

The story (in the book) was that cobalt bombs were used - lethal radiation
for 5 years. Does anyone actually have any of these?
With normal nukes, you can come out of your fallout shelter after 2 weeks.