Re: extra Rails?

In article <zgRd6.95959$xW4.732129@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
  "Mathew Quaid" <quaidy@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Have they ever been put to the test with a serious derailment??

I think it's often a case of prevention. On sharp curves, any tendency
of the inside wheel flange to go straight ahead is checked by the check
rail, which is only say 5 cm away from the running rail.

On the other hand, check  rails on straight sections of track, which
tend to be closer together (and further away from the running rails),
are indeed intended to save a train after it's derailed, rather than
preventing it from derailing. I don't know how effective they are.

James

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/