Re: Yarra Trams Article in Sunday Age

Mike Alexander <michaela@microsoft.com> wrote in article
<3a765f3f@news.microsoft.com>:

>> Because the system is set up making it hard to buy tickets....
>
>I walk on to the tram, push a few buttons, put some coins in a slot, and
>a ticket comes out.
>
>That's not hard. In fact, I manage to do it many times a week without
>really straining my brain at all.

Because you are educated in how the system works. You know where Zone 1, 2
and 3 are and more importantly what they mean.

There are many people ranging from elderly and disabled people, to visitors
to your "average white family man" who don't understand the concept of how
the system works. The system may work fine with people who regularly use it
but the fact remains that people who are new to it, use it infrequently or
are visiting Melbourne will generally not have a clue on how it works.

There are many other variables to consider like frequently faulty machines
on stations, and invisible machines on trams (i.e. the B class, and packed
trams), inaccessible machines (visually impaired people, intellectually
disabled people).

Michael

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME