Re: Routes and Loops

David Martin <d_martin@mountains.net.au> wrote in message
news:gju36.13$Jh3.6480@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...

> "Glen O'Riley" <glen.orileyDES@PAMlinx.iwarp.com> wrote in message
> > I was just wondering if when the new Parra-Chatswood link is finished,
if
> it
> > would be worth running what are the current
Parramatta-Berowra/Penrith/Emu
> > Plains services from normal starting stations, through Parramatta, and
> then
> > a loop through the new link then return down through Central and
> Strathfield
> > to terminate at its start/destination station and also have some going
via
> > Strathfield then Chatswood and back down the link. Then with the
northern
> > line, start/terminate at Chatswood, send half down the North Shore line
> via
> > Central then back up to terminate/change ends at Hornsby (or Gosford if
> > expansion is planned) via Eastwood/Epping, then send the other half in
the
> > opposite direction and back up the North Shore.
> >
> > Also would the number of tracks between Central and Chatswood support
such
> > system? One can only presume that it would be good for tourists to be
able
> > to do a loop like this.
> >

> I hope they intend quadrupicating the Chatswood - North Sydney line. But
> what about N Sydney to Central? That must be pretty close to saturation
> point. Even if they can get more trains through there, how many people can
> the stations handle? They could lay train track on the old tram route
(East
> side of the Bridge) & into what is now Wynyard car park.

North Sydney to Central being at saturation point (not to mention Central to
Illawarra Junction) is part of the problem that Chatswood - Parramatta is
supposed to solve.  Trains that now terminate at North Sydney can now
continue to Parramatta via Chatswood, giving two single trips in the suburbs
per harbour crossing (and underground run) instead of one.  This also
increases the service frequency between Chatswood and the city without the
inconvenience of reinstating the terminating facilities at Chatswood.  Dare
one suggest they will then take the opportunity to close North Sydney car
sidings and flog the real estate at Milson's Point at inflated prices to
developers?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anyone to close road lanes on the
Harbour Bridge.  Someone had better build another tunnel if more rail
capacity across the harbour is going to happen.  I also doubt the prospects
of working a terminus at Wynyard former platforms or extending the tracks
further south.

Jeff