Re: [NSW] Plasma Screens

David Bradshaw <davidbradshaw@my-deja.com> wrote in message
92pujd$sbc$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:92pujd$sbc$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Why are passenger information systems still manually controlled? Is it
> a matter of cost? Union demands? Practicality?

My guess is the Union.  We are so far behind every other state when it comes
to automated passenger info!!  The trial plasma SPI system was to be
installed at Newtown.  The Union went crazy over this, stating it would take
away from station duties (as they believed the displays/announcements were
to be automated or remotely controlled), and they felt that the
bathgate/rollover types of displays provided more info (ha, ha).  A few
months later, it was installed at Martin Place.

> I was under the impression that PI systems in part of the network
> (ESR?) was or used to be controlled automatically.

So was I.

> I was also under the impression that, at least at some stations, the PI
systems > were controlled from a nearby signal box.

This is the case for all of the SPI displays/announcements which have LED
displays EXCEPT for St Leonards, Leumeah, Minto and Woy Woy.  They are a bit
more accurate, but often get thrown out of synch if a non-stop train passes
through the platform 5 or so minutes before the timetabled service arrives.

The Airport Line displays are controlled at Mascot Station - I think it may
also control all four platforms of Wolli Creek.