Re: Noisy W2 trams - was Official Launch of R1808

> John, remember the day in 1978 we took 329 out as a farewell to  spur
geared
> Thomsons, someone lifted the hatch cover up going up Mt Alexander Rd-
> boggle!

Noel,
I remember that tour well, as well as many others with spur gear cars,
especially those with BTH motors. Lifting the motor hatches on tram and
electric train tours is still standard practice for many die hard gunzels.

We used to have so much variety on tram tours once upon a time.

I'll never forget VR cars 52 and 53 on a parallel run on the Footscray line,
or the day that all six of the L class cars were taken to Hannah Street
depot for a photo line up.

West bound trips down Holden Street, dodging cars and Tramway Buses were
always fun, as were trips to the old Essendon Aerodrome terminus!

Remembering these and the last few years of the SEC trams in Ballarat and
Bendigo makes me feel old. It was so long ago!

Cheers
John Wayman