Re: Lineside Photography (again)

In article <qno66.2898$mO2.10921@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
  "Ted Gay" <tedgay@bigpond.com> wrote:

> "Russell Moorhouse" <russell.lm@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
> zLn66.9106$B11.151971@monolith.news.easynet.net">news:zLn66.9106$B11.151971@monolith.news.easynet.net...
> >
> > Hi
> >        I am considering visiting my family in NSW (near ACT) .
> >        I live in the UK where I photograph mainly locohauled (in
service,
> > i.e. not preserved ) preferably in scenic or industrial locations ,
( in
> > sunny weather ) .

There's a gorge just outside of Canberra (called Monglebongle or
something similar IIRC) where the trains run up one side and a walking
path is on the other.  Might be worth a try for some nice shots,
although I don't think there are that many regular loco-hauled trains
into Canberra these days.  Dappled lighting might be a problem too.

Also, the Sydney-Melbourne line runs through nearby Goulburn and Yass;
it shouldn't be too difficult to find a good vantage point from a road
overpass or hill to get some photos of mainline action.

> In the UK, sunny weather!!  ROFLOL
>
> Ted

The UK does have some sunny weather you know. Last weekend was crisp
and cold, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. And because the sun is
low in the sky right through the day in winter, you can more easily
avoid those angular shadows that are typical of Australian photography,
where much of the detail is lost because of the harsh overhead light.

Mind you, it's hard to beat those late afternoon or early morning shots
taken in the Australian bush when the light is soft and low, but still
strong enough to pick out every spring, pipe and flange on every bogie
of a slow freight.  But it must be hard to get the lighting right, and
then to get a train to come along at the right moment!

James (not a photographer but I appreciate good photos).

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/