Re: [VIC]outer loop line?

in article Xns90256ECB5255Fogo1mynxwowaustcom@203.109.250.24, OgO at
quentisl@leaves.qjc.cjb.net wrote on 10/1/01 10:53 AM:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've noticed on the Epping line, in between Rushall and Merri, an old line
> which appears to be heading toward the city.  Did this used to be part the
> 'outer loop line' which was mentioned awhile ago?  Or something else?
>
> Just Curious...
>
> OgO

No, its the inner loop which used to run from Royal Park to Clifton
Hill/Collingwood.  For many years all Heidelberg/Hurstbridge/Epping trains
ran this route as the raised route through Richmond and Jolimont wasn't
built.  It used to take well over an hour to get to Heidelberg...

The outer loop ran from Fairfield across the Chandler Highway bridge and
down to join with the Alamein line, the only section of the outer loop still
remaining.

Both of these are now bike paths.

Daniel