Re: Connex

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:00:15 +1100, Railvic <railvic@primus.com.au>
wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the rolling stock used by Connex in
>England are leased from another company?  If this is correct, then it is
>no wonder that that carriages are old.  For example, if you are renting
>a house, you would not renovate the house for your landlord free of
>charge?

Connex has leased its stock from Porterbrook, who carried out no
renovations whatsoever. Connex, on the other hand, embarked on a
program of "defurbishment", involving the removal of such unnecessary
items as tables, curtains, reading lamps, arm-rests and even
compartment doors (presumably to punish Std class pax now travelling
in the downgraded 1st class compts. in question). Vandalism and
wear-and-tear go unrepaired and the toilets are always blocked because
the tanks don't get refilled.

If I was leasing these units out to Connex, I'd be bloody annoyed to
see the state they'd got into. Maybe Porterbrook don't care 'cos the
stock'll be scrapped soon - we hope.

Tom
W Sussex, UK