Re: Perth EMU Indicators

"jjjim" <jjjim@bigpond.com> wrote in message
3A64218E.53A371DF@bigpond.com">news:3A64218E.53A371DF@bigpond.com...
> Are you saying they dont publish the Codes in the timetable?    in brissy
a run
> #  starting with J indicates a 3 car spark  1  = 6 car  , next numner /
letter is
> the line / direction,  and next 2 numbers is the run number itself i guess
you
> could say,  there on top of the timetable for every run  , i wonder if any
> commuters actually use it? i only found out thru QR what the codes meant,
and that
> there used in the control rooms too ,  the only practical use for
commuters would
> be seeing if the next train will be a 3 car and maybe more crouded

I believe that was a customer service related move. When a passenger makes a
call to a Passenger Services Officer at Mayne Control concerning a specific
train they were travelling on (eg lost property), the PSO can quickly
identify that train, it's current location etc and deal with the matter far
more quickly than if the passengers says (for example) "I caught the 8.08am
train from Dinmore to Toowong" then the PSO has to flip thru a Working
Timetable to locate exactly what train it is then locate it and hope it is
the correct one. If, however, the passengers said "I was on 1A17", then the
process is greatly sped up. Naturally, this process only works if the
passenger is in possession of a current public timetable.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, Australia

Email - mattyq1009 at dingoblue dot net dot au

Notice - All comments and opinions made herein are that of the author only
and do not represent the official view of QR. All text included in this post
(and/or reply) is copyright to the author. This message may not be
reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of the
author.