Re: Overland 114 years old today (Jan 19)

> This may be a dumb question, and no doubt subject to flames from IYB
> (now reinvented as fuitbet), but are there any checks and balances in
> place to protect the Overland as the oldest continuously running named
> train in Aus?

Not only is one of the oldest name train in Australia, there was a time
the Overland was one of the most luxury train in the world and now been
the only loco haul inter-state capital train.(Indian Pacific is more a
tourist train rather then an interstate capital train)

>I mean, if GSR decide to dump it for economic reasons,
> which is their right, is it 'heritage listed' like the Gulflander so
> that someone will have to keep it running?

Recently there's a surge in passengers number, I think the patronage is
now better then late AN years and is continue rising. In fact the train
attracts many people who never travel by train on this corridor.  From
April this year GSR will improve  on board facilities, hope this will
help the future of this train.

I think GSR fought hard to keep this train running. When it was in
finacial trouble early last year, Federal government didn't want to
involve with it since they sold the business, SA and Vic state
government also rejected the subsidy plan in the first place since this
train compete with V/line's Daylink service which already subsidy by
the states. Eventually GSR persuade both states to offer subsidy.

I think an addistional Saturday service would be viable these days...

--
Cheers

Railway Rasputin

remove <dot> to email