ARRDO [was Re: Qld election]

In article <3A6D177F.C33726EF@cqu.edu.au>,
  RT <r.thomas@cqu.edu.au> wrote:

> Well, we'll be trying to screw some more $s out of everyone for the
new
> CRC :-)
>
> Official name is CREAT - Centre for Railway Engineering and
Technology.

> Only trouble is, it covers 4 states, so that makes it a bit awkward to
> lean on an individual state.

Hmmm, who remembers ARRDO?  That was the Australian Railway Research
and Development Organisation, a quango set up in the 70s I think, and
funded by the transport/rail bureaucracies of NSW, Victoria, the
Federal DoT and I think ANR as well.  Intention was to conduct market
and operations research related to, well, Australian railways. Offices
were in Lonsdale St, Melbourne, next to the Kilkenny pub, which was
also known as the ARRDO Annex.

I started working for them in January 1986, straight out of uni, but
funding was withdrawn later that year when one or two of the states
pulled out of the funding arrangements, and the whole place shut down
and everyone (about 40 employees I think) made redundant.

James

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/