Re: An idea of mine - express trams

Les Chandra <les_chandra@asparagus.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3aecb67f@news.iprimus.com.au...

> Bradley Torr <truenorth@one.net.au.SPAMTRAP> wrote in message
> 01c0d0a6$68179b60$a52365cb@default">news:01c0d0a6$68179b60$a52365cb@default...
>
> <big snip>
>
> > Has any tramway system in the world ever tried this concept of express
> > running? Has express running or skip-stop running ever been tried in
> > Australia?
>
> Yes, the Glenelg tram has had peak hour express running since the 70s
(when
> railway-style booms were erected at level crossings en-route).
>
> I think there are still some express runs, although they have been reduced
> in recent years.
>
> Les

Err,  make that read since the 1940's at least, my earliest Glenelg
Timetable from Sept 1943 has an 8.30am Up "Express Tram, Mon to Sat,  but no
down trip   Fast forward to 1954 when there is still the 8.30am Up "Express
from Grovene, and an 8.30am Up 'Express from Marion Rd."  Down Expresses
were from Vic Sq at 5.14pm & 5.48pm, express to Grovene.  And so the story
goes on.

Graeme Cleak