Re: G Class

Michael wrote:

> bruceedwards@yahoo.com (bruce edwards) wrote in
> <3AEC14AF.707F736C@yahoo.com>:
>
> >Can anyone tell me of the fate of the G Class G517,518 and G523 locos
> >that have been withdrawn from ops, are they preserved,leased or scrapped
> >?
>
> G523 was back in service late last year, with it's spanking new (well
> secondhand) 645-F3B (correct me on this) engine for more horsepower. The
> engine has since been down rated due to vibrations.

 The engine is being or has been up rated due to some maladjustment when
the engine was rebuilt being corrected.  Something to do with the
injector rack settings.

> G517 and 518 are both stored, but there is no hope of them ever entering
> service again.

G517 when last seen was cut in 3 and sitting on the floor of the 120
tonne bay. The tank was retrieved a few weeks ago for modifications for
the long sump engines. Some modules were still to be retrieved.