Re: RTM Comet

On 30 Apr 2001, Matthew Geier wrote:
>  Eventualy it was realised that the RMS wasn't in the position to
ever run
> them, so first the Dorrigo set left, then the RTM set. The RTM in its usual
> fashion, took years to raise the money needed to road freight them back to
> Thirmere. It appears road freighting old rolling stock around is cheaper than
> getting the railways to move them...

They were moved back to Thirlmere by rail. Ppl from the museum travelled
up to Paterson with 4520 and the VHO (no time lost through Eastwood) and
spent a week preparing the set to be moved. It was moved at reduced
speed back down to Thirlmere.

The story goes that when they pulled up at Maitland waiting to be let on
the Main North (on a curve) water ran out of the carraiges for the
entire 10 minutes they were there. I guess that the lack of cover for
all those years had its effects. :-)

---
Ben Armstrong                                         /
<ben.armstrong@boral.com.au>  /  ___  |_||_||_||_|  _ _   |_|  ___
<ratso_101@hotmail.com>      //|| | |    Ratsara   | | |  | | | | |
ICQ #: 1434 3878                 0-0                0-0        0-0