Re: Will 3801 run to Darwin?

When it traveled across the Trans Australian Railway,
it had one of CR's Clyde/EMD's as "pilot", in fact the
grumbler hauled 3801 and its train across to WA and
back again.

Earlier generation spin doctors and carefully crafted
photos may have given present day young-un's the
impression that 3801 did it all on its own.

Fact is, no steam loco since the fifties could run
across the Trans or up to the NT on their own, let
alone Darwin in the future.

Still whatever the reality, 3801 could make Darwin one
day, it will cost BIG bucks however.
Keeping the lubrication up to the reciprocating gear
and cylinders will be the main task, as the "pilot"
does all the real work getting there.! Its a long way.

....Tell