Re: Ghan Times (Melb / Adelaide

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:28:43 GMT, "Peter Berrett"
<pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>This begs an interesting question.
>
>Using existing track and equipment, if the Overland ran express from
>Melbourne to Adelaide how long would it take?
>
>cheers Peter

A bit under 10 hours.
A more interesting question to ask is why are loco hauled passenger
trains still limited to 115 km/h.
This speed limit has been with us now for at least 70 years or more ,
when main lines were 47 kg/m jointed track .
We now have 54 kg/m CWR and 60 kg/m CWR , but no increase at all in
the speed limit .
The SRA have done speed trials with the XPT at up to 200 km/h on the
line between Albury and Junee (54 kg/m CWR) , so why cant the Overland
be hauled by an EL or DL at 140 km/h .
AN used to allow 135 km/h for freights across the TAR ,provided they
were hauled by ELs.

MD